Isaac Kaplan

"Is it any wonder I've got too much time on my hands?"

Sunday, May 30, 2004

Peyos: does anybody care?

I've seen a few mitzvos / aveiros get a lot of press over the last few years. Lashon Horo, Shatnez, and even standing for a talmid chacham have gotten plenty of press time. But, after seeing another person with a really short haircut, I'm wondering if the mitzvoh of peyos is falling by the wayside. With the fad of buzzed haircuts as popular as ever, it seems that quite a few people have stopped caring and have decided that looking cool is more important. One of my Rabbeim said at least a "3" is necessary to be mikayem the mitzvoh. I'm sure there are those that argue, but I've seen some haircuts that just can't be legal? Where's the Peyos Heritage Foundation when you need it?

One more point on peyos: people who grow briskers and play with them tick me off. If you've got 'em for the right reasons, you should realize that they're not toys, they're holy, so don't play with them! And if you're doing it for shtick, just cut them freakin' off. Grow a choop instead and play with that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home