Isaac Kaplan

"Is it any wonder I've got too much time on my hands?"

Tuesday, May 25, 2004

Sushi

A few years back, my buddy Jack told me about who criticized his disciples for eating sushi. Why? Because we were trying to be like the goyim, with the trendy foods, etc. I respectfully say I do not understand the argument. Almost every food we eat today (aside from shabbos food) is goyish. Take breakfast, for example. Apple Jacks and Cocoa Pebbles are about as Jewish as the Pope. For lunch, say, you'll have pizza or pasta, which happen to be ITALIAN foods. And how about some KD for dinner; hey, KD is pretty much a kosher McDonald's; and no, the gedolim in Europe never had General Tso's chicken. So why is sushi any different?
The argument about trendiness is also weak. The trend of cafes is still going strong throughout Brooklyn. Yet I haven't heard any Rabbi criticize that! If cafes are okay, sushi's not any different.
The only argument I can think of is that sushi is a rip-off. A friend of mine recently told me that in Japan, sushi is poor man's food. Before dismissing it as just another Jewish rumor (right there with the Satmar girl who won mega-millions), I realized, hey the guy is right. You've got tuna and rice. There's no reason it should cost so much. The stuff costs peanuts to produce. Considering that our money is really G-d's and He's only entrusting it with us, we should be careful to spend wisely. However, no rabbi has told anyone not to spend 6 bucks on a tuna sandwich in Circa!