Isaac Kaplan

"Is it any wonder I've got too much time on my hands?"

Friday, July 30, 2004

Cheesy Kiddush Levana Lines

I go outside last night for the monthly santification of the moon, and some comedian points out, "ah, a real McCoy!" I was ready to throw up. Do I need to put up with his beyond-corny line?

And no, it's not the first time I've heard such cringe-worthy lines, or "oohs" and "aahs" people say when they find a levana. The worst is when it's a cloudy night and the moon is visible for a minute then disappears, you always have some moron doing the play-by-play: "now you see it; now you don't! There' it is! No wait, it's hiding again!"

I don't get the psychology behind their actions. Don't these people realize they're not funny? And if they're this desperate for attention, maybe they should see someone-- I'm telling you, major issues going on there.

As an aside, what's up with the people who say shalom aleichem to you and then say aleichem shalom, too. I thought I was the only one who's supposed to say that part. I don't know. The Artscroll says only the responder the say it; so maybe it's just a chassidishe minhag or something. Whatever it is, it just gets me very nervous.

Another aside: one of my rabbeim once told me that the dance afterwards is the only dancing mentioned in the shulchan aruch. You should be dancing, yeaaaaaaaaaahhh.

4 Comments:

Blogger Isaac Kaplan said...

Listen, I love a good joke just as much as the next guy. However, the guys who think they're the second coming of Jerry Seinfeld and fall far, far short are the ones that get under my skin.

3:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw brought down in a sefer that you should say both shalom alaichem and alaichem shalom. Sorry, I can't tell you where, I had the same question when I saw it happen back in high school and looked around a little, but that was a long time ago and I don't remember where I saw it.

1:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What makes you think they are trying to be funny? I don't think they intend to be taken for comedians.

1:13 PM  
Blogger Isaac Kaplan said...

1) how else do you explain their unnecessary comments?

2) I said that it might not be a matter of comedy, but rather an attempt to attract attention, which isn't much better.

3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home